Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Blogged out!

I really enjoy blogging, I think it is a great way to share your voice with a greater community, I have even taught all of my grade two students how to blog, it is a fantastic invention. This being said, did everyone have to join the blog wagon at the same time. Out of the five classes that I am currently enrolled in this semester three of them are using technology to aid in reflection of course content and experiences. I am trying to read blogs, publish blogs, and moderate my own students blogs everyday and I am just feeling a little overwhelmed. There is currently too much of a good thing going on for me. This overwhelming blog experience has caused me to think about the effect of students though. If I, in university, am feeling overwhelmed keeping up with three blogs, think of how our younger students feel about being pressured to blog. They may sit down at a computer with literacy or comprehension issues, possibly not even being able to type fast enough to get their thoughts down on the page. What should our expectations be for students to make sure that they feel successful on their blog?

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I hear you, Jackie! Blogging is great, but as the phrase goes, there can be too much of a good thing. In schools blogs can be a fantastic learning and personal development tool, but educators need to be careful not to make the kids feel overwhelmed with too many blogs. Otherwise blogging will become more of an obligatory chore than an exciting learning tool. Kind of like all the reflecting we education students are required to do!