Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Library What?

A long long time ago, I can still remember,
When the smell of books would make me cry
And I said bye bye big library
Some day later I'll be braver and I'll go through your door,
but for now I'll have to say bye bye,
For now I'll have to say bye bye!

This rendition of American Pie, was created by myself in response to myself and my group during the research of a reading project. The first place that we looked for information for our project was on the internet, and this seems pretty normal for us. What was unusual is that the internet did not have the information that we needed. We were amazed, and astounded that we actually found the information in a book.

I was very surprised at how fast things have changed. It was only a few years ago that books and the dewy decimal system were a reality in my life and now I am not even sure what to do with information that I find in a book.

I am sure this is happening a lot with older students as well in elementary and secondary schools. Students, including myself, prefer the convenience of instant knowledge rather than dredging through a library to find their information. Not to mention that books and photocopies take up actual physical space, where as information found on a computer can be moved and stored easily.

Things to think about!

1 comment:

Alec Couros said...

Nice post, Jackie. Things HAVE really changed quickly. Who can even predict the future? At the least, we can reminisce of what used to be.

"Back in my day, we had to walk 40 miles uphill both ways to get to a library to read ..."